[bt-devel] web site home page text

Thomas Abthorpe thomas at stthomasanglican.org
Sun Nov 15 21:45:40 MST 2009

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 00:53:35 +0200 (EET)
Eeli Kaikkonen <eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> wrote:

> We had some talk about the website. The front page should have
> catchwords to get hits from search engines. The current result is poor.
> Try for example "bible study software". Logos and e-Sword are at the
> top. Add "free" and you get e-Sword. No wonder people use it if it's the
> first one they find. What kind of searches should return "BibleTime"? At
> least those including some combinations of these words:
>
> free
> open source
> bible (study)
> software
> application
> program
> windows
> linux
>
> Can you find more? Here is one description having all those words.
>
> "BibleTime is completely free - and Open Source - Bible study software.
> The program's user interface is built with Qt framework which makes it
> run on several operating systems including Linux, Windows and MacOSX.
> This computer application uses the SWORD programming library to work
> with over 200 free Bible texts, commentaries, dictionaries and books
> provided by the CrossWire Bible Society."
>
> Also the page title might be better if it included "free" but for
> conciseness not "Open Source". People search for "free" more probably
> than "Open Source". (BTW, it has "Open Source" with O S but "bible"
> with b. Not good.)

Thanks for summarising what needs to be done based on our chat on IRC the
other day.

Obviously the website can always use more love, and feedback from all is
always graciously accepted!

Raoul has been on me to consider other means of maintaining the website, by
migrating to a CMS like drupal for instance. Perhaps we need to explore this
option further.

Thomas

--
Thomas Abthorpe