[bt-devel] Showstopper bugs

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 09:00:29 MST 2009

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> In my opinion the keychooser bugs must be solved before the final
> release. It's very annoying to navigate when it doesn't work correctly
> with two different methods, dropdown lists and next/prev buttons.

I will work on this one. I think I already know the fix, but have not
had a chance to try it.
> But what shall we do with bookshelf installer problems? As I told, the
> crash fix by Gary did actually create more problems which may be even
> more annoying than simple crash. The reproducible crash happened only
> when the user cancelled a download before it had begun but after
> preparing the module had begun. The proposed fix caused for example
> confusing situations where items where stalled indefinitely. Which one
> is more serious? I don't think We can fix it for 2.4 release. We would
> need either new backend or fixed SWORD. The latter will happen only with
> a new release of SWORD. It's of course possible to patch Windows version
> but I don't consider it a good practice.

In Windows, the reproducible bug happen when canceling the download
during the middle of the download. The longer timeouts I put in did
prevent this problem in all my testing. I grant it might not fix a
indefinitely stalled download, but I did not see any of these. It seems
better greatly narrow the possibility of a crash if we can't entirely
fix it before this release.
> I propose that we just leave the bookshelf installer as it was before
> Gary's fix. After the final release we can discuss what to do next. The
> other option is to write a new backend, but I don't know how long it
> takes and even if it's possible to get working at all.
>
>   Yours,
> 	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland
> 	e-mail: eekaikko at mailx.studentx.oulux.fix (with no x)

Gary