[bt-devel] Windows Development Release Updated to 1737

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Nov 4 05:29:31 MST 2009

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009, Gary Holmlund wrote:

> I have updated the Windows build to svn 1737. This fixes the crash in
> the personal commentary. It also eliminates all files in the qt plugins
> directories except the release dll's.

We have reached quite reasonable size. Installed size is < 35MB and
installer size is < 12MB. BibleCS installer is 5.5 MB without modules,
installed size is ~25MB. Xiphos installer is ~28MB and installed size
~114MB. Xiphos has the burden of Gnome with it and it has also the
speech engine. The famous e-Sword installer is ~40MB (with some texts)
and installed size seems to be ~25MB (how's that possible? Did it
install libraries into system directories?).

We could offer a choice of leaving out the docs when installing. That
would save ~4MB in installed size. Maybe it's not worth it, but it
wouldn't hurt either if we offered also "select components to install"
wizard page like many other installers.

> I am not aware of any specific crashes or other problems in this version.

I tested the Bookshelf Manager. It crashes every time I accept the works
to install but Stop (cancel) all immediately, before download begins.

If I add sources and remove them, they appear again when I open the
Manager again.

Those who try BT in Windows: please read the wiki page for testers and
try those tests. It's not enough if we go through the user interface
with our familiar workflow. Take at least some functionality and test it
thoroughly. Bugs are probably there where you don't go regularly. I know
very well it's tedious and not compelling, but the other option is to
deliver an untested product to end users.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland