[bt-devel] Windows package size

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Tue Nov 3 05:37:09 MST 2009

I'm just trying to compile BibleTime on Windows using the wiki
instructions. It has worked this far but I've not still compiled the app
itself.

But the actual subject is the size of the Windows installer/installed
files. The installer installs now both debug and release versions of Qt.
Qt itself is the part of our package which takes most of the space. Here
are the largest files, for example:

QtWebKitd4.dll (debug)	>17 MB
QtWebKit4.dll (release)	>8 MB
QtGuid4.dll (debug)	>12 MB
QtGui4.dll (release)	>7 MB

We can save >40 MB (which is about half of the total, including stuff
under share/) in install size by leaving the debug files out of the
final release. I'm not sure but the same may be true for the msvc files.

Actually I don't know how useful the debug files are even for
developers. Is there any need for them?

As a side note, I also compiled Qt with some configure flags to save
time. I used -release -opensource -fast -no-qt3-support -no-libmng
-no-libtiff -no-phonon -no-phonon-backend -no-scripttools. The result of
leaving out the stuff (phonon, tiff/mng support) we don't need isn't
very radical, but saves some compile time.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland