[bt-devel] mercurial repo

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sat May 2 10:26:13 MST 2009

Greg Hellings wrote:

> Sounds like it's very similar to git.  Are there any specific benefits
> to hg or bzr that git does not also possess?  Will it be nicer for me
> on Windows or Mac than git supposedly is?

At this level of feature comparison, all of the main DVCS players (bzr,
git, hg) are pretty similar.  We're using bzr for the SWORD and
BibleTime (and Xiphos and Bibledit and Biblememorizer) packaging because
it is what LaunchPad and Ubuntu tend to use.

For Windows if you need a GUI interface to your DVCS, there is
TortoiseBzr, which works fine.  Likewise with TortoiseHg for Mercurial.
 TortoiseGit, however, is at about version 0.2 and not yet really
stable, from what I read.  I have tried out TortoiseBzr, but not the others.

Jonathan