[bt-devel] Minimum screen resolution for BibleTime?

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 29 14:10:18 MST 2009

Jonathan Marsden wrote:

>> I don't know if this is a bug, because I don't know if usability on
>> an 800x600 screen is a usability goal for BibleTime... I couldn't
>> find a "hardware requirements" page or FAQ question about this on
>> the BT website.

Peter von Kaehne replied:

> While 800x600 is probably mostly used on obsolete computers 1024x600 is
> a typical netbook resolution.

Good point.  And there may actually be a sizeable group of BibleTime
users in non-Western locations who are still using what you and I would
consider "obsolete" computers... I'm not sure how much of a target
audience such users are for BT.

Either way, it looks like we should aim for dialogs that fit in 550
vertical pixels or so (600 minus an allowance for menu bars top and
bottom) (And 950 horizontal?  But this is not so much of an issue, at
least at the moment).

If any testers have "obsolete" hardware around to test with (or
not-so-obsolete netbooks!), then it might be good to try a Ubuntu (or
Xubuntu, if RAM is limited) 8.10 or 9.04 install onto it, and then
install BibleTime, and report how well or badly it works for them.  I
have some such "obsolete" hardware around here I can probably use for
this kind of thing at some point.

Should I open a bug in the bug tracker about the height issue with the
Bookshelf Manager dialog?

Also, would some sort of "minimum hardware requirements" page on the
BibleTime site be worthwhile?

Jonathan