[bt-devel] 2.0.alpha3 released

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Mar 25 23:37:36 MST 2009

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009, Martin Gruner wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> alpha3 is out.
> It contains bug fixes and Gary's docking windows feature. Please test!
>
> @developers: let's try to get the items in
> http://devel.bibletime.info/wiki/Development_Plan done. There is not much
> left, maybe we can release the final soon!

I have a feeling that we should test modules more. People seem to find
even crashes when trying some module which I haven't used. Also old
familiar modules trigger bugs.

I found an especially severe display (or some other) bug with ESV. It's
full of empty crossreferences. I have SWORD 1.5.11 installed. Can anyone
confirm this?

People, please, check the Windows build page and module related bugs
there. Give more information if possible. Can those be repeated with
different environments? From where the module is downloaded, what's the
module version?

> The windows port is not a release critical issue imho. A Qt-only 2.0 release
> would at least stir some interest and perhaps 2.1 will then have an official
> Windows build, if we don't create one until 2.0.

I have built the Qt library, it took several days with an old laptop. We
should really have a set of binaries and headers of Qt, and other
libraries, for Windows developers.

The second problem is building SWORD. Greg gave instructions which I
didn't follow quite exactly (the SWORD code was different, I have the
Express edition of VS, and I want to try an "easier way"). Building
SWORD led to errors related to unicode. It means that ICU was needed,
but there was nothing about that in instructions. Greg, can you help?
Why are there instructions for ICU build targets if we don't use ICU?

One crash on Windows may be caused by using debug build of lucene
library (or actually by a Windows library bug - see a link in wiki).
Should we build the libraries in release mode only? That would make the
building instructions shorter, too. Usually, at least in Linux, people
use non-debug libraries anyways, even for development.

I would also like to see the curl dependency removed. It's possible by
writing our own connection mgr class for SWORD. But it's so much work
that I won't do it for a while.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland