[bt-devel] BT packaging and build-time KDE dependency (extract-mesages.sh)

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sat Mar 21 12:30:11 MST 2009

Martin Gruner wrote:

> where exactly is that script needed to build BibleTime?

It's related to translation and .po files... but that's vague...

It is being used when the BT packages are built.  For example, the build
log for the latest i386 build in my PPA is at
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/24170707/buildlog_ubuntu-intrepid-i386.bibletime_2.0~alpha2-0ubuntu2~jmarsden3_FULLYBUILT.txt.gz

and you can definitely see it being used there (search for
extract-messages.sh within that log).

The build servers are failing to build BT when I do not explicitly have
a Build-Depends: for kdesdk-scripts in there (now I have removed
kdelibs5-dev, which pulled in kdesdk-scripts for us "behind the scenes"
in the past), because the build process tries to run
extract-messages.sh, which is not present.

However, when I search for extract-messages.sh in the BT source tree, I
don't see it being called there at all.  So maybe this is a purely
Debian/Ubuntu thing, triggered just by using the packaging system?  If
so, then somewhere in the packaging system templates and makefiles there
is apparently code that runs extract-messages.sh for what it *thinks*
are KDE packages... which is being triggered by BT 2.0 alpha2.

I'll try to check this out some more, but it's looking as though this is
something much more Debian/Ubuntu specific than I had first thought.

Jonathan