[bt-devel] BT packaging and build-time KDE dependency (extract-mesages.sh)

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sat Mar 21 07:12:59 MST 2009

Martin Gruner wrote:
> Jonathan,
>
> where exactly is that script needed to build BibleTime?
>
> mg
>

> On Saturday 21 March 2009 06:50:18 Jonathan Marsden wrote:
>> Well, I found out the hard way that some parts of the BibleTime
>> 2.0alpha2 build process do in fact depend on KDE-related tools.
>>
>> In particular, cmake (which was not all that surprising) and
>> kdesdk-scripts (which was a bit of a surprise).
>>
>> kdesdk-scripts is the Ubuntu package that includes a utility script
>> /usr/bin/extract-messages.sh that is used in building BT.

I would also like to know what that script is. I don't find anything of
that name on my Kubuntu box where I have done the development. Therefore
BT build process can't depend on it.

I want also to make sure that people understand the role of cmake
correctly. It's doesn't depend on KDE in any way - exactly the opposite
is true: KDE4 build-depends on cmake. Cmake is just a build tool. For us
it has replaced autotools. Some people may see it as "KDE-related"
because it's the official build tool for KDE4 and not universally known
like autotools. It's not installed by default on most systems.

--Eeli Kaikkonen