[bt-devel] git public test repository created

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Fri Mar 20 15:50:22 MST 2009

On Friday 20 March 2009 18:40:31 Martin Gruner wrote:
> My opinion: we should only do that if git offers us significant advantages
> that we need. IDE integration is worse than for SVN, for example the plugin
> for ecplise (which I use) is far from being complete.

Apparently SF.net now offers Bazaar as well, which is a slightly less
confusing DVCS than git. Also, Bazaar has TortoiseBzr for those on Windows.

Using a DVCS like git allows you to do a lot of development in your own
personal branch, and then merge with the main branch at a later stage. It also
allows for patches to come in from almost anyone, without needing to grant
them access to the repository.

They just create a local branch, make their changes, commit to their local
branch, and then request a merge with the main branch. Then the project
leaders can look at the code, say "yes" or "no" or "you need to change it" and
that way make sure that the code that goes into the main branch is top
quality, while enabling more people to be able to contribute to the project.

My openlp.org project is actually moving to Launchpad and Bazaar, because of
the integration between bzr and Launchpad.

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: www.saturnlaboratories.co.za
b: blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za