[bt-devel] Windows installer tool choice

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 23:52:21 MST 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org> wrote:

> Matthew Talbert wrote:
>>>
>>> into the system.  Especially if what Matthew says is true and support
>>> for those is already excluded based on using Visual Studio 2005, then
>>> it's even more work for me to find a version of Studio that will
>>> build, possibly buy it for a large sum of money if it's not one of the
>>> two versions I already own, then learn how to build binaries that will
>>> work on both 9x and NT families of Windows.
>>
>> I believe 2005 is OK (though I've never tested). AFAIK, the link I
>> mentioned was for 2008.
>
> FWIW, the current free version of VS is Visual Studio 2008 Express, and it
> would be nice to allow people to develop using a free compiler/IDE.

My bad, I have been using the commercial version of 2008 -- we get
both 2005 and 2008 through the University's student licensing
agreement with Microsoft.  My build was done with 2008, which further
reduces the chance of getting binaries to support 9x.

--Greg

> If it's especially desirable, we could revive the VS6 projects for Sword,
> etc., but I don't think I would make the effort to support 9x at this point.

I know it wouldn't do me any good, since I don't have VS6 nor access
to it that I'm aware of.  But if someone feels a die-hard desire to
build with VS6...

Ideally we'd get MinGW working, as many people have said, then we'd
have a truly free development system, but the CLucene people would
have to be consulted on that, or at least someone who feels like
tracking down the bugs I've observed in those headers with the MinGW
and other GCC-for-Windows compilers I've tried.

--Greg