[bt-devel] Windows installer tool choice (was: Re: Windows build system)

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 19:14:59 MST 2009

Something you might want to consider is that building with VS2008 (not
sure what you're using Greg) pretty much cuts out Win98 and below. See
here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/213711/does-visual-studio-2008-support-windows-98

Also, my opinion is that it will take some work to support Unicode
correctly (as far as path names, environment variables, etc) on w2k
and above. It is my opinion that it will require much more work to
support Unicode correctly on w2k and above, while simultaneously
supporting Win98. This extends even to installers, such as NSIS, which
to support Unicode correctly won't work on Win98 (as Martin has
already pointed out, you have to choose either the Unicode NSIS
installer, or the Ansi, unless you wish to make a separate installer).

Matthew