[bt-devel] Windows installer tool choice (was: Re: Windows build system)

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 19:12:02 MST 2009

On a follow-up note:

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/3/2 Thomas Crawford <tjcford at gmail.com>:
>> Hey, guys, the last Windows software that I bought and that I can installed
>> on my lone windows box is Windows 9.x.  I did buy a laptop that had an OEM
>> XP on it, but that software can't be used anywhere but on my laptop.
>
> According to the latest statistics (February 2009) from
> www.statowl.com, of the PC users out there 0.1% are using Windows ME,
> 0.12% are using Windows 98.  Windows 95 doesn't even make the list,
> which cuts off at those using less than 0.1% of the market share.
> Even windows 2000 only gets 1.64% of the market share.  I have no
> plans to bother with supporting them in my own work of building and
> installing.  If you can get the source when it's packaged and build
> it, that's all fine and good but 0.22% of PC users doesn't really
> bother me.

TrollTech claims that they support 98/ME in Qt4, though no mention is
made of 95.  Perhaps my .msi files for our pre-beta releases are not
going to work for you, but hopefully we will move to something a bit
more robust and useful like NSIS for betas and releases which probably
has a means of dealing with installing on 98/ME as well.

Please, let us know when that time comes, because if Qt4 supports it,
it is likely that the application can, too.

--Greg