[bt-devel] QtWebKit DOM access

Thomas Abthorpe tabthorpe at freebsd.org
Fri Jan 16 08:35:04 MST 2009

On January 15, 2009 03:53:25 pm Raoul Snyman wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> On Thursday 15 January 2009 19:16:40 Martin Gruner wrote:
> > ok. Whenever I do a release, I create a tag that allows to create a
> > branch off from that particular state, such as "rel-1-7". I'm ready to
> > create branches if we really need them. And you have SVN write access, so
> > you can also create branches for your own development at any time.
>
> Having a little bit of experience with Subversion on the openlp.org
> project, I thought I'd just lend my knowledge with regards to Subversion
> branching and tagging here...
>
> In Subversion, a branch and a tag are in essence exactly the same thing.
> They are both simply a copy of the code at a certain point. A branch is
> then developed further, whereas a tag can be used to export that code at
> that point.
>
> When it comes to branching and merging, Subversion is a breeze. I branched
> openlp.org at one stage, because I thought we'd be doing bug fixing on the
> branch, and doing further development on trunk. At the end of each bugfix
> release, I tagged the branch, and then merged the branch back into trunk.
> Contrary to my expectations, the merging was totally painless.
>
> Hope this helps!

This is a model I would like too see implemented, creating a tag every time a
release gets put out the door. Might be something worth doing once 1.7 is
officially released. Might be nice if we could even work some historical tags
too.

The nice folks over at GnomeSword, Hi Karl and company :-), recently reworked
their repo in a similar fashion.

Much of the net benefit of using SVN over CVS is the ability to share better
among developers, tag, branch and merge far more effectively.

I think once the new structure is in place, it puts us in a better position to
dabble with things like git for personal testing.

I will get out of the pulpit now.

Your brother in Christ

Thomas

- --