[bt-devel] QtWebKit DOM access

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Tue Jan 13 09:39:08 MST 2009

Martin Gruner wrote:

> I'd prefer Gary's suggestion. Branching creates the risk of loosing changes and requires significant effort to keep things in sync.
>
> With (a limited number of) #ifdefs we can stay in head, and whenever the new code is good enough we will switch, removing the old one.
>
> Using a subclass instead of some #ifdefs is possible, you two can decide which is better. We should not use branching though.

I'm not a version control system expert so I can't defend branching. But
with logical thinking I come to conclusion that if someone has a private
branch home it has almost the same problems. Gary should update his
private codebase with all public updates so that he can merge back
easily. (I highly recommend git with git-svn for that. I use it with
several private branches which I keep in sync with the SVN HEAD and from
which I commit to the SVN HEAD.)

"Requires significant effort to keep things in sync" - this would not be
a great problem with a distributed vcs, they are created for easy
branching/merging and easy changing of patchsets etc. But I don't see
why this would be a great problem even with SVN. If the 1.7 branch would
get only small/important bugfixes + bookself manager fixes keeping it in
sync shouldn't be hard. We could put all KDE->Qt changes to the webkit
based HEAD only.

I see also another reason for 1.7 branch: if we release 1.7 in HEAD and
then change the code radically it will take much time before we can
release a new stable version. There will surely be bugs in 1.7 which
need immediate fixing (crashes and build problems) because we don't have
enough testers now. Those fixes would be easy to put into 1.7 branch and
then release 1.7.1 etc. if needed.

--Eeli Kaikkonen