[bt-devel] Windows Build status

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Tue Feb 24 03:30:33 MST 2009

Quoting Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com>:

>> We should somehow make this as easy as possible for newcomers. Maybe a zip
>> package which includes all the tool and library packages?
>
> It's probably better to setup a wiki page like the Gnomesword team did
> and document exactly what to do and how to do it - I know it would be
> a nightmare for me to think of exactly what I did more than a few days
> into the future.  Perhaps tomorrow I'll see about getting it down in
> writing.

Of course we have to have a wiki page, but it's much easier to
download one zip from our sf repo than to follow several links,
especially if we use the unpackaged (i.e., with no .exe installer)
mingw version. Additionally we can avoid licence problems, especially
if we use static build for windows. In that case we would be obligated
to distribute the source code of a GPL library. Or even if we use
prebuilt .dll's and want to distribute them.

> Or the methods that Chris pointed to in his e-mail.  I just changed
> the names to stricmp and compiled and it worked - so I don't know if
> its picking up the native implementation or the SWORD one.

I guess we can do that.

>> I have noticed that earlier. Yes, we should bet rid of that, though I think
>> it's available for Windows, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirent.h.
>
> Obviously either would be feasible, though probably using Qt would be
> more robust and would allow us to leverage their fixing of bugs
> without having to track Yet Another Externally Imported Library.

I agree.

> config.h makes more sense - it's more in keeping with other software
> I've seen - and the issue is just an ordering of the include
> directories.  Obviously it's a quirk of CMake, since the problem
> doesn't appear in Mac or Linux.  I'd say leave it be and we can just
> shuffle it around when we make the project file in VS.

Ok, if it doesn't cause any other problems.

> In other news, there are also some errors when compiling the whole
> system with the howtos, because they are looking for xsltproc, which
> is not a part of my Windows (though I have a version installed in
> Cygwin).  I put Cygwin in my path and set my CYGROOT accordingly, but
> now it still dies, complaining of a missing po4a.  Are any of those
> actually necessary for the build?

They should not be necessary. I would like to change the build system
so that it doesn't require anything purely documentation related. Most
developers don't need it. mgruner is needed again :)

--Eeli Kaikkonen