[bt-devel] Qt Only

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 01:15:05 MST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 1:56 AM, Eeli Kaikkonen
<eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> wrote:
> Quoting Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com>:
>

>> BtInstallProgressDialog::slotDownloadStarted "AB"
>> (BibleTime 1.7.1.cvs) WARNING: Error with install:  -1 module: "AB"
>>
>> When I run Bibletime as root, however, it installs properly.  So I
>> made sure to chown -R the ~/.sword folder to my main user, and now it
>> works properly.  However, giving a graceful error message would be
>> preferable.
>
> Oh yes, this is a serious usability bug which has bugged me for long time.
> You should see a warning dialog when you add a read-only destination
> directory, but it's not enough. I have a feeling I worked on this issue some
> time ago, but I'm not sure what exactly I did. I have to get back to this.

While I know negligibly much about Qt - having never actually written
code in it - as I mentioned in my other e-mail about the Windows
build, there is the QDir object for dealing with directories and file
systems.  I noticed that it has a boolean function to return whether
the directory is readable or not.  Could make checking and alerting
the user about that an almost trivial task.

>> On another note, while navigating a General Book, I have
>> to click the >> arrow every time I want to move to a new chapter, etc.
>>  Is this the desired/expected behavior or is this a product of running
>> on the Mac?  It seems cumbersome to me to have the passage chooser
>> disappear every time I click on a new passage, especially if the
>> passage turns out to just be a title page or TOC that I want to
>> quickly gloss over.
>>

> This is certainly a bug, possibly coming from the weakly tested Qt port. Or
> it might be Mac specific. We'll look at it.

Then if someone else who knows more about Qt and what is going on
could take a look at it - it should be ready to go and launch,
provided the CMakeList.txt is updated with the one place where it had
an error in its Mac-only section:

IF (APPLE)
	SET (BT_DESTINATION ".")
	SET (BT_SHARE_PATH bibletime.app/Contents/)
ELSE (APPLE)
	SET (BT_DESTINATION "bin/")
	SET (BT_SHARE_PATH "")
ENDIF (APPLE)

You need to change the second line to
        SET (BT_DESTINATION "bibletime.app/Contents/MacOS")

After that, you can build the bibletime.app folder without much hassle
after a make install.  Run it from Finder as usual or manually invoke
install/bibletime.app/Contents/MacOS/bibletime if you want to pass it
command line options.

--Greg