[bt-devel] QtWebKit version

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Thu Feb 12 00:05:24 MST 2009

Quoting Gary Holmlund <gary.holmlund at gmail.com>:

> No one has commented on the right context "Find" menu on the QtWebkit
> version. This is not the main Search dialog, but one that only searches
> the text currently in the window.  It was using a Find dialog supplied
> with the KHTML class. I had to reimplement the Find dialog.
>
> The KDE one had a couple of features I had to drop. It had regular
> expressions and search within only selected text. The QWebFrame search
> function did not support these. I did not believe these to be very
> important for searching only within the currently displayed text.
>
> I did put in a couple of features that you might like. The KDE dialog
> would close when you hit Find button. If you wanted to repeat searching
> for a word you had to keep reopening the dialog. The new one stays open
> and you can repeat the search with another click of the button or just
> the Enter key. The second feature is that it has both a next and
> previous button making it faster change the direction you are
> searching. The third feature is that it searches the currently active
> window. Even if launched from one window, just click on a second window
> and the search applies there. Gary

Sounds good, I have to test it later.

Personally I would like a Firefox-style dialog where it "steals" some
fixed space from the view. The ordinary Find window is usually
annoying because it's always on the way when you don't need it or
hidden when you need it. That's why they invented the FF-style dialog,
I guess. It's been adopted by many applications since, and with
success. However, even if we decide to use this it's not urgent.

--Eeli Kaikkonen