[bt-devel] [Pkg-crosswire-devel] BibleTime 1.7rc1 released - PLEASE TEST - 1.7 final scheduled very soon

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Thu Feb 5 10:04:11 MST 2009

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Jonathan Marsden wrote:

> Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
>
> > 1.6 and 1.7 should work fine even simultaneously.
>
> Well, perhaps true for source code installs from tarballs, but this is
> unlikely if (when packaged) one depends on libsword6 and one depends on
> libsword7, and the two library packages conflict (and the current
> packaging team approach is that they *should* conflict).  Also the
> package names are the same (bibletime), only the version number differs,
> which implies that they are "the same thing" as far as the packaging
> system is concerned.
>
> I think we may just have to accept this loss of flexibility for
> BibleTime, in the interest of getting 1.7 into Debian/Ubuntu more rapidly.

Sometimes there are several versions of a same program, where the
version number is added to the program name, see automake for example.
But it's up to packagers to decide if it's needed or not. Some tool
programs must have several versions for practical reasons, and BibleTime
is not such program. It would be nice to see both versions packaged but
it's not developers' business to tell how it should be.

BTW, thanks to all packagers. Debian based distros are very important to
us because they form the majority of the user base nowadays. I have
tried to raise up this sword (bibletime/gnomesword) packaging problem
several times in sword-devel, even sending personal emails to some
people, but it wasn't until now when somebody took the job. So, again,
thanks to all.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland