[bt-devel] Website: Content Migration

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sat Dec 12 10:07:23 MST 2009

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009, Raoul Snyman wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> To get us started on the new site, I thought I'd discuss what content needs
> to be migrated from the old site.
>
> - Welcome to BibleTime
>   - About BT

We should have a main home page with short About section (like there's
now). If there are news in the front page there should be only 5 latest
or so headlines and a different News page for the longer list.

>   - BT Screenshots
I would like to have a More/Features/whatever page which lists important
features of BibleTime. Each list item would have link to a page which
then describes that feature and the workflows with text and screenshots.

>   - Download BT
This has to be rewritten. There's more up to date info in the wiki
Packaging page and in Release announcements.

>   - BT FAQ
We don't have an up to date FAQ. We don't have any frequently asked
questions unless we invite some.

>   - Links
Is this needed at all? Should we jus use links where needed, spread in
all pages?

>   - In The Press (I'd convert this to "testimonials" and get users to
> contribute)
Yes, we are not in the Press very often so the name sounds like an
overkill.

>   - License (I don't think we actually need this)
I would add short licence information in the download page and a link to
GPL.

>   - Imprint (it seems necessary)
If we use the standard web page layout (header, footer, right/left/main
areas) the Imprint link and/or "About this web site" can be added to the
footer.

> - BibleTime Development
>   - Help (I'd rename this to "How To Contribute")
>   - Join the team
>   - Mailing lists
>   - Wiki - link
>
> - Translate

I would like to get rid of web/wiki separation for Developer section. We
should have the main Development section front page which has links to
sections. Sections should all be similar - no web and wiki. All
develpment pages should be as easily edited as the wiki is now. Only the
front page should be translatable - all development actions require
working English knowledge anyways.

The front page could be a short introduction with one text section for
each Development action/page/section. This could replace the "How to
contribute" page. Sections could be for example:

- Coding (the current wiki pages Plans, Programming, Building etc.)
- Translating (the current Translate web page and wiki pages)
- Packaging (the current wiki Packaging page)
- Web site development

There could be a short Translations section under the main BibleTime
section but it should be short and link to this Development/Translating
section.

Is the Mailing list page needed if each mailing list is advertised in
some section?

The big idea is to separate the end user pages from development
community pages. Most end users need just the main BibleTime section
(with Home, About, Download etc. mentioned above). Developer information
should be separated from them. Therefore I'd like to have a page
structure with header part which would have tabs for BibleTime, Develop,
Blog (and Forums). The BibleTime main section would have information
relevant to application end users. The Develop section is interesting
only for those who want to contribute.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland