[bt-devel] Serious bugs in auto-cascade mode

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 07:20:06 MST 2009

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, Gary Holmlund wrote:
>
>> I believe the cascade, vertical tile, and horizontal tile bugs you
>> reported are fixed.
>>

> Ok, now it feels like it's impossible to get into situation from where
> you can't get out.
>
> I'm still not happy with all usability aspects, but some are actually
> not caused by Gary's changes, being necessary tradeoffs. Previously
> single windows were maximized, now windows can't be maximized at all. On
> the other hand the current behaviour is consistent and easy to
> understand, and a new user doesn't have to learn how the window buttons
> are suddently in a different place.

I found that Qt's built-in function for the new tile mode did not use
maximized when having only one window. Doing this in the cascade,
vertical tile, and horizontal tile eliminated some of the issues that
you had reported. I felt it was a reasonable solution.
> But on the other hand it creates a problem with small displays.
> Especially on Windows or with some other UI themes the subwindow title
> bar takes much space (more than the text area header, which was
> complained about for taking valuable space!) Previously a single or
> maximized window saved space by not having its own titlebar.

You can still use manual mode and maximize the windows and switch
between them with the Window menu.
> So, whatever we do, there's something wrong. I'd like to hear what
> others think.
>
> Another usability problem is that there now are buttons and actions
> which actually don't work. You can click the maximize or minimize
> button. The window is maximized or minimized for a short time but
> immediately it gets back to its original size. That's a bit confusing
> and stupid. Is it possible to get rid of those buttons if there's no
> use for them?

I agree with this point, but I cannot see any way to eliminate or
disable the min/max buttons.
> Personally I would love if it worked like this: If there's a single
> window, it's always maximized. If there are several windows, one window
> can be maximized and it covers other windows. Then it can be restored to
> its original place. Or another window can be selected from the Window
> menu list, and it replaces the maximized window, which is automatically
> restored to its original place. No window can be minimized and there's
> no minimize button, because minimizing is only minimally useful.
>
> But I'm also quite happy with the current situation - it's more
> important that there are no actual bugs and the behaviour is consistent.
> And I don't want to bother Gary infinitely with my wishlists and bug
> reports. He has done great job this far, much more than I could have
> done (or would have patience to do:) ).
>

>   Yours,
> 	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland
> 	e-mail: eekaikko at mailx.studentx.oulux.fix (with no x)