[bt-devel] Serious bugs in auto-cascade mode

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Dec 2 06:03:17 MST 2009

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, Gary Holmlund wrote:
> I believe the cascade, vertical tile, and horizontal tile bugs you
> reported are fixed.

Ok, now it feels like it's impossible to get into situation from where
you can't get out.

I'm still not happy with all usability aspects, but some are actually
not caused by Gary's changes, being necessary tradeoffs. Previously
single windows were maximized, now windows can't be maximized at all. On
the other hand the current behaviour is consistent and easy to
understand, and a new user doesn't have to learn how the window buttons
are suddently in a different place.

But on the other hand it creates a problem with small displays.
Especially on Windows or with some other UI themes the subwindow title
bar takes much space (more than the text area header, which was
complained about for taking valuable space!) Previously a single or
maximized window saved space by not having its own titlebar.

So, whatever we do, there's something wrong. I'd like to hear what
others think.

Another usability problem is that there now are buttons and actions
which actually don't work. You can click the maximize or minimize
button. The window is maximized or minimized for a short time but
immediately it gets back to its original size. That's a bit confusing
and stupid. Is it possible to get rid of those buttons if there's no
use for them?

Personally I would love if it worked like this: If there's a single
window, it's always maximized. If there are several windows, one window
can be maximized and it covers other windows. Then it can be restored to
its original place. Or another window can be selected from the Window
menu list, and it replaces the maximized window, which is automatically
restored to its original place. No window can be minimized and there's
no minimize button, because minimizing is only minimally useful.

But I'm also quite happy with the current situation - it's more
important that there are no actual bugs and the behaviour is consistent.
And I don't want to bother Gary infinitely with my wishlists and bug
reports. He has done great job this far, much more than I could have
done (or would have patience to do:) ).

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland