[bt-devel] BT 2.0.beta1 released

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 20:19:00 MST 2009

Luke Plant wrote:
> Hi Gary, thanks so much for the fixes.
>
> That just leaves this on my informal bug reports:
>

>> Finally, RealStrongsGreek module in the Mag area displays with
>> boxes instead of accented greek characters.  This seems to be a
>> regression since 1.7 (?), less serious than the previous two.
>>

> This seems to be caused by the use of the 'Arial' font, which is
> lacking in the 'accented Greek characters' department.  On removing
> that font from my system, it then used 'Liberation Sans', which is
> lacking in the same way!
>
> I fixed it by adding this to my ~/.fonts.conf:
>
> <match target="pattern" name="family" >
>  <test name="family" qual="any" >
>   <string>Liberation Sans</string>
>  </test>
>  <edit mode="assign" name="family" >
>   <string>Bitstream Vera Sans</string>
>  </edit>
> </match>
>
> But this is not an ideal fix.  The choice of font should be determined
> either by BibleTime settings or user defaults, but none of these refer
> to 'Arial' or 'Liberation Sans' (or Helvetica etc.) on my machine.
> Any idea why these fonts are being chosen?
>
> Regards,
>
> Luke

The Mag window uses QWebView to display. BibleTime 1.7 it used KHTML
classes. There is nothing setting the font for this window, so it is
using a default determined by Qt. The KHTML default must have been
different. I have looked at the source for Qt and Arial font is
hardcoded into it and the Qt global settings can't change it.

Providing a setting for this font was recently discussed, but we were
wanting a feature freeze for the 2.0 release.  We  should be able to do
this soon after the 2.0 release.

Any other thoughts Eeli or Martin? We could set a different default in
BibleTime but I am not sure which font would be best for various platforms.

Gary