[bt-devel] Review2 on BibleTime

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Apr 1 12:00:49 MST 2009

Thanks for detailed opinions. Unfortunately you seem to refer to
BibleTime version 1.6 or older. It's basically at least 2 years old if
we talk about features. 1.7 has been released recently and we will soon
release 2.0. You don't tell which OS you are using so I can't point you
to any possible binary packages. If you are a programmer you can find
build instructions in http://devel.bibletime.info.

Some comments below.

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Arthur Bolstad wrote:

> Looking at the bibletime screen first time:
>
> 1)	Opening view:  Tool tip is useful but appears on top of another extra
> window.  That other one should be suppressed until the tool tip window
> is cleared.

Tooltips have been removed altogether. They were out of date and too
few.

> 3)	How did I close the program but leave the 2 windows up?  Now I closed
> the tool tips but the initial extra window remains?

Maybe the "initial extra window" is the Configuration dialog which is
opened when you start BibleTime for the first time. I don't know if it's
good or bad. Personally I don't need it at the first time.

> 4)	Apparently the window left is BibleTime.
> 	a) The appearance is not impressive.  Starts small, I assume for small
> screens (netbook?).  There is nothing on the right side of the
> bookshelf.  It is not obvious that what one does is to click on a book
> in the bookshelf in order to get one displayed on the right.  Perhaps an
> instruction on how to use the system could appear initially on the
> right?

An instruction is a good idea.

> 	b)  Once a book is clicked, I see no way to clear the right side again.

The subwindows (display windows) can be closed with close (X) buttons.
If there's only one display window, the button is just below the upper
right corner of the main window.

> 	c)  The "MAG" box on the lower left is a total mystery.

In 1.7 upwards it has some explaining text. If you hover with mouse over
text which has some data - crossreferences, Strong's numbers etc. - the
Mag will show the data.

> 5) On a small window, I would rather that the Bookshelf be separate
> window rather than take up precious screen space.

The Bookshelf, Bookmarks and Mag windows can be closed with "View" menu.
In 2.0alpha3 they can be moved quite freely or even opened in separate
window.

> 	a)  The names of the Bibles appear in abbreviations, which is good but
> often unclear.  Mouseover could give the full title that is abbreviated.
> This would not need to be translated (probably should not).

I agree, but the names come from the SWORD library. Mouseover should
already give information, at least in newer versions.

> 	b)  Are all these downloaded as part of a standard install (I realize
> that my install was not necessarily standard)?  Does the bookshelf
> show/imply that there are more possibly deployed?

Works (texts, modules) should be installed with Bookshelf Manager (in
Settings menu).

> 	c)  I found the name of the bible being used in the window title.  I
> would expect it just above the actual display window.

Me too, but it requires some coding, possibly quite much.

> 5)  Icons above the text:
> 	a)  Somehow the mouseover gets lost in the window text.  Needs a
> stronger visibility.  Not at all clear initially what those icons are
> for.
> 	b)  What is initial icon (little bible) for?  Mouseover give the
> Abbreviation of the present text source. Clicking gives a choice,
> apparently of Bibles.

The icons have tooltips shown on mouseover, at least in newer versions.

> 	c)  Changing the choice on the left to books (choosing the first
> "Concord") opens a new window. This was unexpected.  I expected it to
> change the text being displayed on the right.  Don't mind the option of
> 2 windows, but prefer to choose that option before it is given.

This is how BibleTime works. It may not be the most simple way of
working, but if you use it couple of time, you will get used to it.

> 6)  The 2nd icon (bible) mouseover says "no work selected"  doesn't tell
> me what this icon is about.  Apparently it is for choosing another
> parallel window (good idea).  Say that in the mouseover: "Choose a text
> for a 2nd window".

They have tooltips, at least in newer versions.

> 	a)  This will only open another Bible.  Why do we have it though, if
> the Bookshelf will open another window and that for any selection, not
> just another bible?

You can use different windows for different kinds of works. Parallel
view in one window is meant only for the same type of work. That's how
it's designed.

> 8)	Display Options Icon seems obvious and usef.
> 	a)  Limited choices.  Shouldn't "redletter" be an option, maybe only if
> the bible has that option built in.

It is an option, depending on the work.

> 10)	Didn't understand how to use the chapter changes and verse changes
> arrows.  Could there be an appropriate mouseover on them?

This may be quite different in the latest versions.

> 11)	In the Book (Concord) display window there are 2 blank choices menu
> boxes (?).  What are they?  Why are they forcing the menu to be so
> broad?

> 12)	Just discovered that the order of windows is based on the order of
> choice from the bookshelf.  Is there a menu item to switch the order?

You can reorder the windows manually. You can change the layout mode
from the Window menu.

> 14)	I selected H.. from the choose new book icon.  Nothing happened
> initially (as it loaded the book).  Be good idea to put a msg in the
> selection window that says "loading" or some such.

True. We have some problems with speed when loading some works.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland