[bt-devel] Review2 on BibleTime

Arthur Bolstad arthurbolstad at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 1 08:13:15 MST 2009

Looking at the bibletime screen first time:

1)	Opening view:  Tool tip is useful but appears on top of another extra
window.  That other one should be suppressed until the tool tip window
is cleared.
	a) opening tool tip is good, but "really useful handbook written"
should read "really useful handbook on BibleTime written".  Reading the
sentance I initially expected a Bible handbook.
	b)  I think the light bulb and title (Did you know?) occupy too much of
the window. Cut that section in half to maintain proper proportions.
2)	Is there a listing of all tool tips that I can review?  I have some
comments on how some of them are worded and comments on them should be
put in one place.
3)	How did I close the program but leave the 2 windows up?  Now I closed
the tool tips but the initial extra window remains?
4)	Apparently the window left is BibleTime.
	a) The appearance is not impressive.  Starts small, I assume for small
screens (netbook?).  There is nothing on the right side of the
bookshelf.  It is not obvious that what one does is to click on a book
in the bookshelf in order to get one displayed on the right.  Perhaps an
instruction on how to use the system could appear initially on the
right?
	b)  Once a book is clicked, I see no way to clear the right side again.
	c)  The "MAG" box on the lower left is a total mystery.
5) On a small window, I would rather that the Bookshelf be separate
window rather than take up precious screen space.
	a)  The names of the Bibles appear in abbreviations, which is good but
often unclear.  Mouseover could give the full title that is abbreviated.
This would not need to be translated (probably should not).
	b)  Are all these downloaded as part of a standard install (I realize
that my install was not necessarily standard)?  Does the bookshelf
show/imply that there are more possibly deployed?
	c)  I found the name of the bible being used in the window title.  I
would expect it just above the actual display window.
	d)  Don't like the double spacing of the text in the ASV.  It's hard to
read double spaced text.  Might be a display control menu.  Isn't
obvious.
5)  Icons above the text:
	a)  Somehow the mouseover gets lost in the window text.  Needs a
stronger visibility.  Not at all clear initially what those icons are
for.
	b)  What is initial icon (little bible) for?  Mouseover give the
Abbreviation of the present text source. Clicking gives a choice,
apparently of Bibles.
	c)  Changing the choice on the left to books (choosing the first
"Concord") opens a new window. This was unexpected.  I expected it to
change the text being displayed on the right.  Don't mind the option of
2 windows, but prefer to choose that option before it is given.
		i)  The initial icon (now a book, neat!) now gives options under the
Bookshelf section parallel to this choice.   This gives double options.
Not an optimal use of screen space.   Change the "Bookshelf" to a menu
option on the top menu?
	d)  Closing the 2nd window leaves the bookshelf option highlighted that
created that window - but the original bible is now the only open
window.
6)  The 2nd icon (bible) mouseover says "no work selected"  doesn't tell
me what this icon is about.  Apparently it is for choosing another
parallel window (good idea).  Say that in the mouseover: "Choose a text
for a 2nd window".
	a)  This will only open another Bible.  Why do we have it though, if
the Bookshelf will open another window and that for any selection, not
just another bible?
	b)  Again, the selections should be labled "bible choices" or something
similar.
7)	Search Options Icon seems obvious and useful.
8)	Display Options Icon seems obvious and usef.
	a)  Limited choices.  Shouldn't "redletter" be an option, maybe only if
the bible has that option built in.
9)	in 2nd window the Display Icon and Search Icon switch places.  Prefer
Display first and the Search.
10)	Didn't understand how to use the chapter changes and verse changes
arrows.  Could there be an appropriate mouseover on them?
11)	In the Book (Concord) display window there are 2 blank choices menu
boxes (?).  What are they?  Why are they forcing the menu to be so
broad?
12)	Just discovered that the order of windows is based on the order of
choice from the bookshelf.  Is there a menu item to switch the order?
13)	I like the index icon on the book window, but it may not be clear to
others. If another choice is considered, think about the menu for types
of indentation in MSOffice or OpenOffice.  The ability to jump to
sections is very useful.
14)	I selected H.. from the choose new book icon.  Nothing happened
initially (as it loaded the book).  Be good idea to put a msg in the
selection window that says "loading" or some such.
15)	Right now, the bookshelf shows "ASV" selected but the text window
has "H..." and greek text.
16)	The close BibleTime icon looks appropriate and worked fine.

art bolstad