[bt-devel] Bible Time Development - Search Dialog

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 07:03:59 MST 2008

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> Gary Holmlund wrote:
>
>> I have checked in the changes for the search dialog.
>>
> The search combo box has some deficiencies.
>
> The order of the history list is weird after it has been updated. Try
> also selecting an item from the history and see how the list changes.
>
> The empty line should be removed from (or not added to) the history.
>
> The autocompletion acts strangely when there are many items: it
> completes to one item but if I try to scroll through the list it gives
> only two or so items which are not even similar. A drop-down list
> (filtered list of the history) for completion would be ideal but I don't
> know how difficult it would be. I guess the current one is good enough.
>
> The KDE widget was one of the nice ones and it would be too much work to
> duplicate it. This is the drawback of going to Qt-only...
>
> --Eeli

I have found how to change the QCompleter(used by QComboBox)
to have a filtered popup list like the KDE version. It is a one line
change to enable the mode.

I have implemented the change for the filtered popup and removing
the empty line. I will test a little further before check in.

The order of the history list and filtered history list will be such
that the most recently used term is added or moved to the top of
the list. This is different from the KDE version where the filtered
list was ordered by the frequency of past use of each search term.

It is not clear to me that the frequency of use model is better than
the most recently used ordering. The frequency of use model could
be implemented by subclassing QCompleter. What do you think?

Gary