[bt-devel] Config dialog

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 04:52:19 MST 2008

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> Quoting Gary Holmlund <gary.holmlund at gmail.com>:
>

>> Technically the BtConfigDialog implements the header at the top
>> of the dialog. There was explanation text on each page that was
>> removed and put into the header (top of page). I could do the same
>> thing, but the Display page of the config dialog presents one problem.
>> The explanation text is really for the "Available display styles" (second
>> item on page). The "show startup logo" is above the explanation text.
>> If this text was moved to the header it would be above the "show
>> startup logo" and not look right. I would suggest moving the "show
>> startup logo" to the bottom of the page so the header with explanation
>> text is just above the "Available display styles". Is this reasonable?
>>

> Hmm, I didn't think about that when I designed the class. I don't have
> the code here now but I guess we could change the confdialog class to
> accept a null header in which case it wouldn't render it at all. Both
> text boxes could be added to the page widget. Or did you look into the
> Bookshelf Manager, how it handles the headers and text boxes? I don't
> remember.
>
> I wonder if the current layout of the dialog/pages is the best
> possible. Maybe we could redesign it. Some items could have their own
> page or moved into tabs. It's ugly to have only 3 top level pages and
> then a large page with several non-related items. I will propose
> something later.
>
> Again, you can continue with more important things if you want to. I
> can look at this later.
>
> --Eeli

The header text passed to BtConfigDialog is used for two things.
It is used in the header above each page and it is the text below
the icon at the left side. So just passing a null header and not
rendering it is not the solution.

I think that eliminating the header from BtConfigDialog and
having the right side be only what each page displays would
a good option.

Gary