[bt-devel] Qt 4.5 preview release

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Oct 22 04:04:47 MST 2008

Quoting Gary Holmlund <gary.holmlund at gmail.com>:

> I am expecting QWebView to render the same as KHTML, but I
> will check that as I implement the code.

The current one is not an HTML engine at all, I think. You can just
use QWebView and if there's something wrong with it we can fix it later.

> I just received notice that the Qt 4.4.5 preview release is available
> for download. It should not be long until the final version.
>
> Do we need to wait on 4.4.5 until it is available as a package for
> various linux distributions? If so, what distributions do we need
> it for?

I guess you are talking about 4.5.0 technical preview?
http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2008/10/21/same-old-same-new-45-technical-preview/
And if not, the principles are the same...

I was looking into the snapshot documentation and still didn't find a
way to access the DOM tree through the GUI. That is the only remaining
piece which we need to be able to replace KHTML with WebKit. If it's
really lacking it's a major disappointment. Of course it doesn't mean
that it can't be there in some later minor release but it was
anticipated to be there in 4.5 and now it's not.

Answering to your question, it's better to wait until it's in
distributions. We don't have "official" distros but we should wait
until the most popular ones have it (available, not necessarily part
of the stable distro release). Hopefully it will be released with
future KDE4 releases. As long as we depend on KDE we have to maintain
compatibility with KDE4/Qt4 distro packages. It wouldn't be useful to
go ahead and keep up with the bleeding edge Qt. I already did it with
KDE4 at some point and it's just too much work. And other people can't
easily follow.

--Eeli