[bt-devel] Bible Time Development - Search Dialog

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Tue Oct 21 13:02:18 MST 2008

Gary Holmlund wrote:

> I finished changing the config dialog to use BtConfigDialog instead of
> KPageDialog.
I finally compiled and tested this. Generally it seems to be fine. I
found one serious bug though: "Cancel" doesn't cancel, it works like "OK".

The header on the top of the page is not needed. I removed it from the
Bookshelf Manager and it can be removed from the config dialog, too.
It's redundant, takes valuable space and distracts users who try to find
relevant information quickly. And it's ugly because it doesn't have any
eye candy :)

> I am starting to work on the font chooser. I think it would
> be best to do it in 2 steps.
>
> First, write a replacement for KFontChooser using QWebView for the text
> preview area. I have already started and it does not look hard.
>
> Second, consider and make the enhancements desired for the font chooser.
>
> One question I have on the enhancements is what text to use. Perhaps it
> could be a verse that is entered using the tr() function so it can
> easily be translated for each language. I would have to set the
> translation language for the specific phrase in the program. Will this
> method work right for Hebrew and Greek text? I will have to study this
> some to know if it can be made to work.

I noticed that the dialog is already nonmodal, so "Apply" can be used
easily to compare the results. The text should be short enough to fit
into the preview to make quick scrolling through the font list easy. Or
at least it should be possible to see the effect immediately when a font
name is selected. Probably many users will scroll through the list with
keyboard up/down keys and want to stop only when they see some nice
font. Then they can Apply and possibly go back to the list again.
Scrolling the preview to see more text is ok but should not be necessary
to see the font in action.

--Eeli