[bt-devel] Bible Time Development - Search Dialog

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Tue Oct 21 09:58:19 MST 2008

Martin Gruner wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> I second Eeli's mail.
>
> Doing translations with tr() is a manual process, and we would have to do it
> for all languages of modules that are and will be available for sword. This is
> not possible as new modules of minority languages are being integrated into
> the different repositories.
>
> I vote for the automatic solution: The languages that you can configure in BT
> are already determined by the installed modules. So for each language there is
> at least one module available. Therefore you only have to find one module in
> the language to be configured (preferrably a bible, but not neccessarily) and
> retrieve the text of the first entry. This is simple and automatic.

What if the first entry is introduction written in English though the
module is for some ancient language? I don't know if there are any such
modules but we should think about some possible situations because, as
you said, there will be more and more modules.

I guess the most bullet-proof solution would be to have characters from
the unicode range determined by the module language AND some
verses/entry from a module. At least one of them should give a close
match. For Bibles I would take couple of verses from e.g. Gen1 and John1
and if they all are empty, then something else.

But Gary doesn't have to make any decisions about this. The font chooser
won't be any worse than the current one even if the text is left as it
is now. So, Gary, relax :) Just make sure that the text can be easily
changed dynamically later if you don't want to implement something more
complex.

--Eeli