[bt-devel] question about drop-down lists

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sun Oct 12 01:42:28 MST 2008

Greg Hellings wrote:

> My preference is for the single bar -- very infrequently am I looking to
> scroll through lists of possible numbers so that I can select the 121st
> Psalm or Isaiah 50.  The only time I find the selector useful is if I am
> looking to select a random book/chapter/verse, and then it's almost always
> for the verse, since many of the books have memorable numbers of chapters.
>
> Programmatically, probably the best way to go about it is to have it a
> selectable option -- at the very least program-wide, and possibly even
> per-module.  A bit more work to maintain, but it does offer the
> selectability and configurability which people seem to love about many
> OSS/Linux/Free Software/etc elements.  Plus, if BT has already had those
> 3-bars in the past (I remember it being my least favorite feature of BT at
> the time), the code is lying around and could probably be placed back in
> with more ease than developing it again?

I agree (with many others, it seems) that one bar is better than three.
The question is, how to select book/chapter/verse with mouse easily.
Many people just want/need to use mouse instead of keyboard. It's one
thing I examined in the wiki page which was referred to in the feature
request which was referred to in my previous post :) Do you have
anything to say about that?