[bt-devel] question about drop-down lists

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 01:23:56 MST 2008

> Jdc is right. The selector (navigator) may not be the best possible, it
> has been noted and discussed before:
> http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/bt-devel/2008-September/007793.html
>

> Feel free to give further thoughts. The more feedback we get on this the
> higher it gets in the TODO-list...

My preference is for the single bar -- very infrequently am I looking to
scroll through lists of possible numbers so that I can select the 121st
Psalm or Isaiah 50.  The only time I find the selector useful is if I am
looking to select a random book/chapter/verse, and then it's almost always
for the verse, since many of the books have memorable numbers of chapters.

Programmatically, probably the best way to go about it is to have it a
selectable option -- at the very least program-wide, and possibly even
per-module.  A bit more work to maintain, but it does offer the
selectability and configurability which people seem to love about many
OSS/Linux/Free Software/etc elements.  Plus, if BT has already had those
3-bars in the past (I remember it being my least favorite feature of BT at
the time), the code is lying around and could probably be placed back in
with more ease than developing it again?

--Greg