[bt-devel] The next and upcoming releases

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sat May 31 02:31:36 MST 2008

On Sat, 31 May 2008, David (Mailing List & Spam Address) wrote:
> Should I sign up for bt-translators then and make comments there to keep the
> signal to noise ratio good on this list?

Yes, it's better for both, code developers and translators. I will read
both lists and so does Martin, I think.

> > I don't know if you are already familiar with the code and strings
> > inside it. Probably the easiest way to find translatable strings is to
> > grep for tr(".
>
> Ok, I might could work up a sed or perl script or something to print them out
> at some point, if we want me to do this regularly.

I don't know how regular that needs to be. As I have said there will be
new strings because the UI will change in some places but right now we
just should have the existing strings fixed as soon as possible. After
that I (or other developers) can give a notice in translations list when
I add something or need advice.

Can you compile from the source code? Have you already used the latest
code? If you can, you could just take a quick look at the user interface
and say whether it needs many changes or just some. If it needs many, it
could be easier if you used KDevelop, the Find in Files feature and
change the strings and then commit the changes in svn. If there are only
few changes you could identify them in an email and I can integrate
them.

The goal is to make the English speaking users feel that the text is
fluent, clear, natural and normal computer application language. I
believe you have experience in user interfaces so you can tell what is
good and what is not. The text should be as short and concise as
possible and yet be informative. Complete sentences or formal written
language prose is not necessary in many places. Make as few changes as
possible - if something is "good enough" it doesn't have to be changed.
I guess most of the problems will be with the articles and prepositions.

We have some guidelines in
http://devel.bibletime.info/wiki/Programming_Guidelines#User-visible_text

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland