[bt-devel] Tooltip text location in source files

Martin Gruner mg.pub at gmx.net
Sun May 18 11:52:51 MST 2008

Hi Eeli,

> Some notes about the strings: I have not commited them yet but I have
> edited some tooltips and other texts quite radically. For example
> commentary editor text edit button tooltips (align, style etc.) are now
> consistent with almost all existing office applications: we had wordy
> explanations like "The selected text will be aligned in the page to the
> right" while "Align right" is the standard tooltip and should be enough
> for us, too.

Good, agreed.

> The config dialog Languages page had also wordy explanations which are
> now shorter. It had a notice about creating new locales. That does not
> belong to a dialog proper IMO. We can add that info to a whatsthis, to
> the help file and most importantly to the web page with other
> translation info. Which reminds me: there should be a short notice/help
> about using Qt Linguist for .ts files in the Translation web page. I
> don't remember if KBabel handles .ts but Qt Linguist will be more
> important when we get Qt-only and cross-platform.

KBabel handles both .ts and .po files, and we will need both, because handbook
and howto are still po and likely will have to remain so. We could mention
Linguist as addition for those who only want to translate the GUI. For
website, handbook and howto people will need to use KBabel or something else
that speaks po.
Send your additions to the website to Joachim please.

> One example of reducing wordiness and redundancy is in the config dialog
> Standard works tab. All the items plus the heading read "Standard" and
> it can be removed because it should be obvious from the dialog that they
> are all "Standard" works. We will also get more space for the module
> descriptions.

Sure, good.

mg