[bt-devel] Tooltip text location in source files

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sun May 18 07:41:28 MST 2008

On Sun, 18 May 2008, Martin Gruner wrote:

> Hi Eeli,
>
> I agree, do it!
>
> Cresmgr will probably only be useful as a central place to store icons and
> maybe shortcuts. That likely means it can be a header-only list of constant
> strings.

Thanks! This will take a while but it's worth it.

Some notes about the strings: I have not commited them yet but I have
edited some tooltips and other texts quite radically. For example
commentary editor text edit button tooltips (align, style etc.) are now
consistent with almost all existing office applications: we had wordy
explanations like "The selected text will be aligned in the page to the
right" while "Align right" is the standard tooltip and should be enough
for us, too.

The config dialog Languages page had also wordy explanations which are
now shorter. It had a notice about creating new locales. That does not
belong to a dialog proper IMO. We can add that info to a whatsthis, to
the help file and most importantly to the web page with other
translation info. Which reminds me: there should be a short notice/help
about using Qt Linguist for .ts files in the Translation web page. I
don't remember if KBabel handles .ts but Qt Linguist will be more
important when we get Qt-only and cross-platform.

One example of reducing wordiness and redundancy is in the config dialog
Standard works tab. All the items plus the heading read "Standard" and
it can be removed because it should be obvious from the dialog that they
are all "Standard" works. We will also get more space for the module
descriptions.

Still some unrelated notes: KDE has caused some bugs. The display window
titlebars have incomprehensible colors. It is caused most probably by
the KDE style because I previously had only kdelibs installed which
worked fine and after installing some new KDE stuff it changed. Also the
paged dialog bug which I have mentioned previously was fixed after
installing some new KDE components.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland