[bt-devel] Abandon KDE?

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sun Jan 27 02:13:06 MST 2008

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008, Greg Hellings wrote:
> I also don't know how this is bad news, unless it was addressed to
> KDE-developers who like KDE libraries, etc.  The point in going to Qt
> is that there will be official support for such builds as Windows, Mac
> OS X, Linux, etc without requiring the person to actually install all
> of the KDE dependencies for those platforms (KDE4 is to run on those
> other platforms, officially on Mac starting with 4.1.0 is the plan,
> not sure of the roadmap for Windows, etc).  Since the KDE dependencies
> are pretty hefty, getting down to Qt-only seems desirable.  Don't
> worry, I don't believe there's any plan to abandon Linux.

Greg is mostly right. It is bad news for them who like KDE because of
general features and integration which it offers for all KDE
applications, like automated key bindings, toolbar editing, file
dialogs, icons etc. For developers this move means more work because we
loose e.g. key bindings editor altogether and have to build a new one up
from scratch.

It depends on the personal preferences of each developer but for the
recent ones Linux is the preferred platform and I hope it will be so in
the future. We think that there are many Bible applications for the
Windows already but for Linux there are only a couple of Sword
applications, including BibleTime. Linux is the most important platform
for us. With the help of people like Greg we may be able to support Mac
and Windows.

Moving to Qt gives even more freedom to Linux users because KDE is no
longer a dependency and we can hopefully even build static builds which
means that if there are no specific packages for some distribution the
users may try the static package.

> > Thanks, Philip
> >
> > P.S. Sorry for asking here.  There is never anyone in irc when I'm there and
> > the forum isn't working

Don't be sorry, there's not too much traffic here. I should hang on the
irc channel but I'm too lazy. The link to the forum should be taken away
or the forum should be fixed. There is a forum for BibleTime in
http://crosswire.org/forums/mvnforum/index.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland