[bt-devel] Abandon KDE?

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 00:18:46 MST 2008

As I understand it...

2008/1/27 Philip Macpherson <philipmac1 at gmail.com>:
> quote: for the KDE fans out there we have also bad news for them: we will
> abandon the KDE platform and move to a Qt-only solution.
>
> In what ways is this bad news.  Will it just mean the program will require
> another library to run in KDE, or it will look slightly different.  Or are
> you leaving KDE altogether and be no longer making linux binaries.

I also don't know how this is bad news, unless it was addressed to
KDE-developers who like KDE libraries, etc.  The point in going to Qt
is that there will be official support for such builds as Windows, Mac
OS X, Linux, etc without requiring the person to actually install all
of the KDE dependencies for those platforms (KDE4 is to run on those
other platforms, officially on Mac starting with 4.1.0 is the plan,
not sure of the roadmap for Windows, etc).  Since the KDE dependencies
are pretty hefty, getting down to Qt-only seems desirable.  Don't
worry, I don't believe there's any plan to abandon Linux.