[bt-devel] distributing the SVG icons

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Fri Dec 12 12:18:26 MST 2008

The SVG icons are huge. They take more than 10MB. I have tried to find a
solution but haven't found any simple and obvious one.

A good one would be to zip them but I don't know how we could do it. Qt
offers a simple compressed data stream but I don't know how to compress
the files with the build process. We could include some compression
algorithm or library. 7zip would be nice but someone should learn how to
use it. zlib is a classic and part of it is actually included in the
Sword library but I don't know what part actually and if we can use it
through Sword. And someone should learn how to use it.

The best compression would be achieved with 7zip and one bundled file.
KDE uses individual gzipped files.

Another approach is to create png's, though then we would loose some
scalability (if the original images are small scaling them creates
visible pixels). It's very easy to add capability to use both svg's and
png's - there is a loader function which searches for the named file.
The file names should be without the ending in the code and the function
could load either filename.svg or filename.png.

--Eeli Kaikkonen