[bt-devel] Debian packages broken, too (was: Re: Ubuntu packages for 1.6.5?)

Daniel Glassey dglassey at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 13:45:19 MST 2008

2008/4/26 Eeli Kaikkonen <eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi>:
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Martin Gruner wrote:
>
>  > Hi Joachim,
>  >
>  > the same is valid for Debian packages, unfortunately...
>
>  Daniel Glassey has not updated the Debian packages.

Sorry guys, my fault.

> Ubuntu takes Debian
>  packages and uses them, though they have named their own maintainers.
>  Therefore we need Debian packages first. Debian based distros are quite
>  big part of Linux market and it is bad situation for both our users and
>  us to not have packages

That is only half true. It is still possible for the Ubuntu guys to
create packages specifically for Ubuntu and provide patches for me to
backport to Debian. So it can flow both ways.

If I don't get to it first maybe Raphael or another MOTU (apologies if
you have moved away from that) could make updated packages for Hardy.

>  Martin can make the Debian packager's job easier by changing the howto
>  licence in cvs, if it's not done already. I think Daniel finds it
>  difficult to remember after long time what to do to follow Debian
>  restrictions. Otherwise building the package should not be difficult
>  task for him, only a couple of commands.

The thing I haven't had time to look into is if 1.6.5 builds with
sword 1.5.10 ok as I need to use only 1 sword dev lib for building
both gnomesword and bibletime and attempt to keep them in sync (as
well as catching up on the packaging). Could someone confirm that for
me please?
Does bibletime still use clucene on its own as well as sword using it?
afair care needs to be taken to make sure linking doesn't get messed
up.

Thanks,
Daniel