[bt-devel] about the alpha release...

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Oct 22 02:16:52 MST 2007

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007, Martin Gruner wrote:

> Hi Eeli.
>
> Do you think that we need a binary package? AFAICT alpha, beta and even rc
> releases come as tar.gz packages which you need to compile and test yourself.
> Only the final release is packaged as a binary version. If there are problems
> with the package, the packager can rebuild it. We need to focus on the code
> itself.
>
> I need to regain an overview over our status with the porting work after we
> finished the KDE3 stuff. I agree that we can perhaps make a first alpha
> release very soon.

Releasing a binary package would give testing opportunities for those
who have no time, abilities or willingness to set up the development
toolchain and/or KDE4. Of course binary packages are not necessary. But
would it be too hard to make for example a static build and add it to
sf.net download area? Or some kind of Linux Standards Base compliant
build? Real distribution packages are out of the question in this phase.

I really have nothing against a source only release. If we do that we
can do it right away if the data migration is complete. There are no
crashes in common situations, occasional known crashes in some rare
situations are not showstoppers for an alpha release.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland