[bt-devel] [ bibletime-Bugs-1660413 ] Capitalization of "LORD"

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 15 02:55:12 MST 2007

Bugs item #1660413, was opened at 2007-02-15 01:55
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100954&aid=1660413&group_id=954

not just the latest update.
Category: General
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Recent version of Bibletime (I've only tested 1.6.2 and 1.6.3b) have dropped the capitalization of the name "LORD" in the KJV.  See for example Genesis 2:7 where "LORD" has become "Lord" in recent versions of Bibletime.

I submitted this first as a bug to the SWORD project, but this was their reply:

When we re-encoded this module the places where 'LORD' was in capitalized were marked in such a way that the program you view it in decides how to format it. The program can do as some print versions do and mark it with small-caps or all caps, or it could be italicized. The reason this is, is because where the KJV used to have LORD in all caps it refers to the personal name of God,
it is translated as Lord because that is the way the Hebrews would read the scripture, and the way the Greek version of the old testament (the Septuagint) translated it as well. Many publishers do all-caps or small-caps in order to distinguish LORD as representing the personal name of God, vs the word Lord that occurs in the text.