[bt-devel] The New Search UI

Sun Jan 8 07:22:14 MST 2006

On Sunday 08 January 2006 02:57, Martin Gruner wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> have you tried the little explanation button next to the search phrase
> field?
> It shows you how to search for text types. And besides, there is a link to
> http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/queryparsersyntax.html. Lucene has a
> pretty powerful search syntax. Please be a little more careful before
> labeling something a mistake.

I had tried the button, however searching text types was not quite what I was
looking for. I didn't go to the website, though clicking it now doesn't do
anything. Having pasted it into konqueror, I do indeed see it is powerful,
however, I didn't see any options for regex search, which I use personally so
I can search for certain inflections of the word. I realize that there are
wild-card and fuzzy searches, but they don't appear at first to be as
precise, but I can definitely test that once I actually get searching
successfully done. As for labeling it a "Mistake" that was not my intent, I
was merely expressing my opinion of the new dialog. I do see I was wrong on
the and/or, and exact searching