[bt-devel] Poetry formating

Joachim Ansorg nospam+bt-devel at joachim-ansorg.de
Tue May 31 13:01:04 MST 2005

Hi,

> I did some looking at the debug output format, and if we did <div> tags for
> poetry, instead of <span> tags, it would work unless you had linebreaks
> after each verse, in which case, the tag for the current entry is a div.

Hm, I guess it displays ok but it doesn't do what it is supposed to. It should
not valid in html. OSIS has start and end markers but it's not possible to
class="poetryEnd"/>" with CSS.

> I think the best solution here is to close any open tags at verse end; from
> looking at the code, it seems to me that the reason we're not doing this
> currently is that we're inserting the span tag's based on how they're
> marked up in the text, which to me makes sense, except for the problems
> we're running into with current entry. So it seems the most viable option
> is to treat each verse as if it were the only verse being displayed and
> close everything, unless we could use something other than <span> or <div>
> for the current entry.

If we close everything we loose the formatting, but fix at least the whole
highlighting of chapters.

We'd need support in Sword for a "active tags" stack in the filters to be able
to close all open tags at the end of a verse. But even better would be to
convert the WEB to OSIS and insert tags using start and end markers.
BUT we'd need to find a solution how to format those markup things using CSS.
I don't think it's possible.

At the moment I don't see a valuable bug fix for this, since it is a mixture
of a module and software problem.

<>< Re: deemed!
Joachim Ansorg
www.bibletime.info