[bt-devel] Hebrew text rendering

Martin Gruner mg.pub at gmx.net
Thu Jun 23 03:15:34 MST 2005

Hi Anthony,

> I'm not sure there is yet an authoritative way to encode the
> text, please see this discussion
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/unicode%40unicode.org/msg17551.html
> and this
> http://www.mail-archive.com/unicode%40unicode.org/msg17444.html

Still have to read it...

> Therefore if we could replace all holams with waw with fb4b
> using regexes without too much effort and produce a
> temporary module that rendered correctly that would be a
> step in the right direction in my opinion. For the problem
> may take some time to resolve.

I think this is not the best option. fb4b is a composite character, and would
not allow to switch off the display of vowels any more. So we'd have to
settle for one of the 2 options waw-vowel or vowel-waw for matres lectionis.

I'll look at the real Leningrad Codex soon and see if there is a difference
between holem-waw and waw-holem. We should stay consistent with the original
text. If the fonts turn out to be buggy, we can ask the authors to improve
them.

mg