[bt-devel] Porting BibleTime to Windows -- trying to build a developer community

Gary Sims gary at garysims.co.uk
Fri Jun 17 04:12:00 MST 2005

Martin,

> Is anybody interested in this plan? We are tired of doing 1/2 man development
> and would like to create a community of developers who can share the work /
> responsibilities. This is still the early planning phase, so if you are
> interested, please speak up.

First of all I want to personally thank Joachim and yourself for all the
work you have put into BibleTime. I use BibleTime almost on a daily
basis and it was one of the key factors when I decided to switch to
Linux. To me it is in invaluable resource.

Second, I am aware that BibleTime needs more developers, as you know I
offered in the past and then I got swamped by stuff here (I am a full
time missionary in Romania). I don't want to see you and Joachim get
discouraged or feel tired of being the only developers. As such I will
re-evaluate my priorities here and see what I can do to help. My biggest
hurdle to helping is that I don't know KDE or QT however C/C++ is no
problem (I have over 10 years professional experience in those
languages). My other minor problem is that I only have dial-up which
means that CVS checkouts are a real pain.

As for the Windows version, fine by me. I don't use Windows so I will
have little to say or comment about it but if you think it will help
Windows users then great. One comment is that there are a number of high
quality Windows Bible programs. Is the effort involved worth the
benefits? In other words after spending X months doing the port will
people use it or will they stick with the existing offerings. What is
the motivation for the Windows port?

Finally for V2 I am very keen to hear what you have in mind and again I
will see where I can help.

Again thanks for all your work and efforts, take comfort that you have
blessed me and I am sure others with your sacrifices.

Thanks and God Bless,

Gary
--
Gary Sims