[bt-devel] BibleTime Search

Joachim Ansorg nospam+bt-devel at joachim-ansorg.de
Mon Dec 26 07:30:22 MST 2005

Hi Lee,

> I've checked in my work so far on the new BibleTime search feature.
> Please note that is not yet complete, but it is functional if you want
> to play with it.  The most noticeable missing pieces are a progress bar
> for the indexing operation, and the delete index feature.  Also, the
> "search last result" feature doesn't yet work.

All your additions worked out of the box!
And they are a great addition to BibleTime!
Thanks a lot for your help to get this important piece done! This is so cool.
I really like what you did!

Here are some things I noticed:
	-The index is rather large. I think JSword and Sword had indexes less than
10megs per module.
I played a bit with the indexing. By using Field::UnStored instead of ::Text
for the content and parameters we save about 50% of the disc space.
I also noticed that the index dir contained a lot of files. I set
minMergeFactor to 500 and the index is now 11megs instead of 28 megs (or of
56megs if we use Field::Text).
>From what I've read the optimize call should merge all those many files into a
few. It seems that optimize is not working for me. Strange.
Does optimize work on your side?

	-The search result is not in the biblical order.
I noticed a search() method which takes a Sort object. But I had no success to
get it working. It crashed for me all the time, as I tried to add a new field
"index" which stores the key position in the module. I'm suign 0.9.10.

	-The search result highlighting highlights the AND of clucene, too.

	-I also noticed that search() can take a Filter, too. Perhaps we could use
that to limit a search to a search scope?

You don't have to do this all by yourself. Please tell me what to do, if you
don't want to all of the remaining things you have on your list.

I'm sorry for the horrid code of BibleTime. The backend has been there for
years now and was written as I still was learning how to code. We're open for
suggestions how to refactor that :)

May our Lord bless you for the work you do,