[bt-devel] BibleTime future

Martin Gruner mg.pub at gmx.net
Sat Aug 13 07:49:18 MST 2005

Hi all,

I'm excited about the vivid interest in a port of BibleTime!

A word of caution: Don't underestimate the size of the current codebase. A
rewrite from scratch that achieves the current functionality in an (almost)
bug-free way could take years, given that we only have spare time to do it.
The documentation would have to be rewritten, and the translations would have
to be redone.

Therefore I want to suggest a more moderate approach (personally, I would like
the rewrite better, but I think it is beyond our scope atm): Port the
existing codebase to QT4. In that process, remove functionality that is not
really neccesary (like the xml-based toolbar configuration system: a static
qaction based would do as well). Keep the basic UI. Change the make system to
qmake, if neccessary.

This would be achievable more quickly, imo. And after this is out, and we
received feedback, esp. from the Windows side, we can attack the UI
refactoring.

It would be helpful if somebody could come up with a list of KDE classes that
we use atm, and for each document if it can a) be replaced by a qt4
equivalent, b) dropped / recoded or c) has to be ported from KDE4. And please
don't forget to document every research that you do at
http://crosswire.org/ucgi-bin/twiki/view/Bibletime/WindowsPortDiscussion.
This is a major decision, so we have to be careful and gather the neccessary
data first, before we might (possibly) get ourselves into huge trouble.

Just my thoughts.

mg