[bt-devel] Text Direction and Verse Keys

Joachim Ansorg junkmail at joachim.ansorgs.de
Fri Nov 26 12:31:00 MST 2004

Hi,

> I was wondering why we are explicitly stating that keys, particularly verse
> keys (entryname in the stylesheet) should go from left to right. Wouldn't
> it make sense to have the key go from right to left if it's encoded that
> way? Or are keys never encoded that way?

We set the text direction of the keyname to ltr, because this is the default
setting for all known languages we support as locales atm.
Otherwise we might get into trobule if we have:

in hebrew or another rtl language</span>

Then keyname would be displayed as an rtl text which screws up the display.
Sure, it would be cool if khtml could display bidi text properly but the last
time I checked it did not.

I don't get double verses with 3.3. I'm not sure how I did  this atm :)

> I've removed the explicit ltr stuff from my copy and that fixes the issue
> with duplicated verses. Might be a temporary fix until kde3.4 is released
> with the fix on bidi text there. But I thought I'd get some feedback before
> committing.

Thank you for looking into this. What do you think? Does my reasoning make
sense to you?

<>< Re: deemed!