[bt-devel] Bookmarks

davidslists at gmx.net davidslists at gmx.net
Thu Jul 29 09:49:57 MST 2004

On Thursday 29 July 2004 10:00 am, Rashad Tatum wrote:
> I have a new idea: the use of bookmarks in bibletime.  Bookmarks would
> basically work something like saveSettings and readSettings except
> it's only for individual modules.  I could add a drop menu button next
> to the add module button (displayed for each module) so only bookmarks
> for the module being utilized would be displayed.  I wanted to make
> sure it was ok before I started working on the code.

I really fail to see how this is any better of an option than the bookmark
system we already have in place. The way it works is this, you drag a verse
number over to the main index (you can create bookmark folders to help you
with organizing said bookmarks) and it appears. Also, if you will note the
version you dragged the number from also appears next to the reference. So
the next time you click that bookmark it opens up in that particular version.

Additionally, I don't see how having bookmarks that only show if you have
certain modules open helps at all. If I already have to open a bible to see
it's bookmarks anyway I think it's just as efficient to navigate there by
hand and keep a typed or manually written verse list. Also, I like to change
or add versions when I'm studying a particular passage. It really is counter
productive for me to have to have a copy of the set of bookmarks I'm working
with in each module just so I can change them out and continue my study in a
different module/translation.

Now please understand, I'm not trying to discourage you from starting or from
implementing this work. If it would benefit you then by all means, go a head.
But before there is a change to our public codebase, we should discuss it to
make sure that all issues (usability and accessibility come to mind) are
taken care of first.