[bt-devel] Hello - French Translation

Joachim Ansorg junkmail at joachim.ansorgs.de
Sun Jul 4 08:05:45 MST 2004

Hi,
thank you very much for your eMail.

> I've been using BT for a long time now, and I think it's about time I
> get involved in the translation process.

Great!

> I'm French, and I teach english, so I'd love to write the French
> translation of the website, the software and howto, if you don't mind.

We'd appreciate your help with the french translation.

> I've already started working with KBabel and the website, but please
> tell me whether this is already on the way.

I don't know of anybody else who's working on a french translation.

> Do I need to be in the sourceforge project developper's team ?

To be a translator that's not necessary.

> Being on this list is enough ?

Yes.

> Do I need to download the source ?

This is not necessary as a translator of the webpages and the HowTo (which is
in the website PO file, btw). And it's even not necessary if you understand
what you're translating if you work on the program translation. Some people
may need to see the translation "live". Installing the development program
might be difficult, so if you don't need it stay with the translation file
itself.

> Do I need to download the whole CVS files (is it different from the
> source ??? - I just don't know what this all is !!!) ?

CVS means it's a way to share source files between developers and track the
changes.
If you don't install the program you don't need CVS.

> Do I just need the files provided in the localization pages of BT ?

Yes, that should be all to translate. The howto messages are in the website
translation file. The howto we ship with BibleTime uses your website
translation.

> I know PHP/MYSQL and HTML programming, and I've already been working on
> fairly big website, so working on such a project is a new step for me. I
> hope I can help.

You don't have to work on the website if you translate it. But your knowledge
is a great help to do the translation.
I usually enable a new website translation if it's about 80% complete.

If you need some help or some answers please let us know. We'd be glad to help
you,

Joachim
- --
<>< Re: deemed!